Friday, March 21, 2008


Papaya saplings grown on my window ledge before being transplanted

These four papaya plants aka Carica papaya were planted a year ago. They have yet to bear fruits


I might be living in an apartment but that did not stop me from doing any gardening. It helps when my wife has a landscape company and I get to help her experiment with the different kinds of fruit trees. The Papaya plant is easy to grow.They are grown all over the planet where it is warm and frost free. They are believed to have originated in Mexico and Central America.I think they take longer to bear fruits compared to 8 months in commercial plantations because I leave them alone after transplanting.Or maybe they are all male plants as fruits will only be produced by female or hermaphroditic plants.

No comments: